What is Men’s Shaving Oil?
Shaving can be a struggle. We all know that feeling of rushing into the bathroom to get ready for work, only to experience painful razor burn, cuts and ingrown hairs that leave your skin feeling sore and your confidence knocked.
Sound familiar to you? Well, fear not, for shaving oil might just be the remedy that you’ve been searching for!
Shaving oils are dominating the world of men’s grooming, and do exactly what they say on the tin. These oil-based formulas are a hydrating alternative to shaving cream, making shaving for sensitive skin easier than ever. Their magic lies in their unmatched ability to lubricate the skin so well that even unsharpened blades can glide over the surface without any friction or discomfort.
The result? A smooth and effortless shave that leaves your skin moisturised and free from irritation!
How Do Shaving Oils Work?
Shaving oil usually consists of coconut oil, vegetable oil or castor oil which are then blended with other essential oil extracts that can be used alone or in combination with shaving cream. These products essentially facilitate the shaving process for better razor performance and improved skin health during and after shaving.
When shaving oil makes contact with your skin, it forms a protective barrier between your razor and hair follicles to help protect your skin from damage and dehydration. Just a few drops can help the razor to glide easily over your skin while preventing those pesky nicks and cuts.
Ultimately, shaving oils will allow you to obtain a much smoother shave with a reduced likelihood of razor burn and cuts. No wonder men across the world are switching to shaving oils instead of using traditional shaving cream or shaving foam for their daily grooming routine!
How to Get a Smooth Shave with Oil
If you’re unfamiliar with shaving oil, it’s helpful to know a little more about its applications before beginning your shaving routine. The best pre-shave oils work with both normal razors and electric shavers, so you’ll be able to perfect the art of shaving no matter what tools you have access to.
- When using a normal, straight razor, or safety razor first you need to pre-soak your face by using either a hot towel or simply by splashing yourself with warm water from the sink. Make sure you do this for at least a minute.
- Next, take about two to three drops of shaving oil and gently rub them in between your hands to stimulate the natural oils. With one hand, gently massage your facial hair area by starting on either side of your cheekbone and working downwards towards the chin.
- If you want to shave using just oil, you might want to apply a few more drops to create the most comfortable shave. Alternatively, you can use the oil as a hydrating, protective base for your shaving gel or cream.
- Now that you have prepped your skin, it’s time to begin shaving. Many people overuse their razors which can lead to skin irritation, so use a fresh razor head or blade if using a safety razor.
- Always begin shaving by going with the natural grain of your hair. If you’re someone who likes the closest shave possible, you can do a second pass over the skin where you go against the grain instead. However, this may not be suitable for those with sensitive skin, as it will cause greater friction between the blades and your skin which may result in irritation.
- When shaving, remember to clean out built-up hair on the razor regularly. Shaving oils make razors easy to clean so that you can obtain the best results no matter what tools you’re using!
- Don’t neglect post-shave care! When you shave, you are removing dead skin cells which can cause your face to feel tight and dry, so be sure to use a moisturiser, aftershave balm or shaving oil packed with soothing ingredients such as aloe vera that will deliver deep hydration. Avoid any alcohol-based aftershave formulas, as these can dry out the skin even more and clog your pores.
Pre-Shave Cream vs. Oil
As shaving oils are continuing to grow in popularity, many are considering swapping their traditional shaving cream for an oil formula. However, you don’t have to choose between cream and oil and can use a combination of the two. The effectiveness of your shaving products also depends on your skin type and shaving style, so there’s really no right answer when it comes to cream vs oil.
If you have dry or sensitive skin, incorporating shaving oil into your routine, whether it be using it alone or underneath a cream, might just be the best way to make the shaving process more comfortable. For those new to shaving oil, it’s best to use it alongside creams so that you can acquaint yourself with the product while still shaving with your familiar cream or gel formula. If it works for your skin, you can experiment with using the oil alone or in combination with another shaving product until you find the unique method that suits you.
The Best Shaving Oil: Why Choose De Facto?
There are so many shaving products on the market that it can be difficult to know which oil is right for you. If you’re after the most hydrating and soothing oil out there that delivers a clean shave, De Facto has got you covered! Our revolutionary shaving oil consists of natural essential oils, vitamin E and aloe vera to provide the smoothest shave ever that will leave your skin feeling fresh and moisturised.
De Facto shaving oil is perfect for priming your facial hair before using either a normal or electric razor. We pride ourselves on using only sustainable ingredients to produce a premium oil that cares for the skin while allowing for an unparalleled shaving experience. Shop our range of shaving oils today and prepare to feel incredible with De Facto!